Looking for the best washer and dryer combo? With improved engineering and energy efficiency being added to these appliances every year, knowing what these new features mean to today’s models is important when choosing the right compact or portable washer and dryer set for you.
Finding the best washer and dryer combo for a small apartment, closet or even an RV can be a real challenge if you don’t know specifically what to look for. Side by side appliances may not fit requiring a stackable washer and dryer set or a self contained washer and dryer combo.
Fortunately, appliance manufacturers today have made tremendous improvements in providing units with loads of great features for any space with limited square feet to work with.
Most of the limited space washer dryer units will fit nicely in closets or small enclosed spaces easy and conveniently with most installations requiring not much more then a screwdriver. Ventless options are available as well and are required by many condominiums, apartments and rental units. Stackable washer and dryer sets typically measure less then 30 inches wide and 76 inches in height with washer dryer combos averaging 28 inches wide and 36 inches tall.
The washer dryer industry can be quite competitive with great deals on lots of newer models available if you know what to look for and where. Finding a cheap washer and dryer set with a great warranty and the newest features is not that difficult when shopping online. These discounts combined with free or low cost shipping can produce some great bargains! For more information on the differences between the models and their features, check out our portable washer and dryer reviews.
Quick Content Navigation
- Top 8 Best Best Washer Dryer Combo Comparison
- Midea Compact Washer And Dryer
- Speed Queen ATE50
- LG 2.3 Cu. Ft. Ventless Washer Dryer Combo
- EdgeStar 2.0 Cu. Ft. FastDry Ventless Washer Dryer Combo
- Midea Washer/Dryer Combo
- LG H/E Top Load Laundry Pair with WaveForce Technology
- Whirlpool White Electric Washer/Dryer Combo
- LG Graphite WM8000HVA / DLEX8000V
- Washer Dryer Combos Buying Guide
Top 8 Best Best Washer Dryer Combo Comparison
Midea Compact Washer And Dryer
- The Midea Compact Washer and dryer offers a number of sizes. This ventless washer dryer combo comes in a range of 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5 cubic feet models. There’s one to fit nearly any location, from an RV to a small condo.
- All of the models are top load except the 2.0 cubic feet model, which is front loading. They include LCD screens for ease of use. All of the Midea models spin up to 1200 RPM. The shortest cycle takes about 3 hours to complete the wash and dry cycles.
- You can use a faucet adapter on this unit if you plan to keep it in a kitchen, bathroom or recreational vehicle. This was one of few models that used a faucet adapter really well without leaking or spraying.
Speed Queen ATE50
- The Speed Queen is another compact washer and dryer with a pre-stacked washer and dryer. Both are front loading. The height is 75 ¼ inches tall, with a 26 7/8 inch width and a 28 inch depth. (Remember to allow room for the hoses in back of the unit.)
- The controls are analog, but well laid out for ease of use. This unit was great on water efficiency. Because of the weight of this unit (380 pounds) and the tall dimensions, it’s best to get this one installed by professionals.
- If the price makes you nervous, rest assured Speed Queen offers a 3 year warranty. For the washer motor itself, there is a 5 year warranty. Speed Queens are built to last for decades with proper care and minimal maintenance.
LG 2.3 Cu. Ft. Ventless Washer Dryer Combo
- The LG washer dryer combo is one of the best rated for water and energy efficiency. It is a true combo which both washes and dries in one unit. There are 9 washing cycles, 6 drying cycles and 5 temperature settings.
- You can pretty much wash anything in this one with the combination of settings, and the 2.3 cubic foot capacity is at the top of the industry range. It includes an LCD control panel with features like a 19 hour delayed start.
- The ventless feature also means you can hook this one up more easily. The drive motor was built with “Low Decible Quiet Operation” to avoid excessive rattling and noise, making it one of the quietest of all the models we reviewed.
EdgeStar 2.0 Cu. Ft. FastDry Ventless Washer Dryer Combo
- If you’re looking for value and speed, this is the best washer dryer combo. Despite all of its features, this combo unit costs less than $1,000. This is another ventless unit, which makes it easier to use in apartments and condos.
- It also includes a built-in water heater to get water to the correct temperature more quickly and more efficiently. It tops out around 1200 RPM in its 2.0 cubic feet drum, giving it the versatility to clean anything from delicates to thick, heavy comforters.
- To resolve the issues of long drying time on other models, EdgeStar designed its “FastDry Drying Technology” which uses forced cyclonic airflow to dryer faster than almost any model out there. EdgeStar also includes a one-year warranty and provides in-home service if you encounter any problems. This unit is the only in our top 5 list that comes in a color other than white; the EdgeStart FastDry is a sharp, blue steel color.
Midea Washer/Dryer Combo
It is considered as top 1 washer dryer. This washer dryer offers you with a number of great features. This washer/dryer combo is highly recommended as it is the perfect product for washing/spinning clothes. The machine is suitable for the ones preferring home laundering and avoid washing clothes in external area.
Pros and Cons
- Space saver. Highly recommended for people who have limited space.
- It is energy efficient with variable spin speed up to 1200 RPM
- The machine doesn’t make any noise while running.
- The machine offers you with large capacity. One can easily fill one normal sized basket of laundry in the machine.
- Another amazing benefit of this machine is that it offers a ventless drying cycle which doesn’t require a vent.
- However, the dry cycle may take up to 2-3 hours.
- Voltage/Frequency Rate of the machine: 120V/60HZ
- Spinning speed of the product(RPM): 1200
- Dimensions: 23 7/16 x 24 x 33 7/16
- Weight: 179 lbs
- Capacity: 2.0 Cu. Ft.
- Model: MFL70-D1211S
LG H/E Top Load Laundry Pair with WaveForce Technology
The ultra Large Capacity (4.7 cu.ft. and 7.3 cu. ft. ) is best fit for bundle of clothes whether they are bundle of towels, piles of sweatshirts or say mountains of jeans. It is one of the best products. We recommend this washer dryer for bigger families. The machine is quite good in look and it doesn’t make any noise.
Pros And Cons
- Moreover you can place a large load in the machines.
- Fast dry cycle. You can dry your socks within a few minutes.
- Quick drum movement and compelling water jets provide a revolutionary washing and rinsing experience.
- The machine is extremely quite. The LG TrueBalance anti-vibration system feature helps to minimize the washer noise and vibration for its quite performance at any place.
- The washer also helps to save your energy and thus your utility charges. It consumes about 30% less energy and half the amount of water used by other common washers.
- However, one of the major drawbacks of this washer is that it takes a little longer to wash clothes.
- Washer: 4.7 cu. ft. ultra large capacity and high efficiency w/ waveforcetm.
- Dryer: 7.3 cu. ft. ultra large capacity w/ steamdryetm.
- The product washer/dryer features LG’s Revolutionary SmartDiagnosis Program, which let your product easier to maintain!
- Weight: Washer = 145lbs / Dryer = 133 lbs
- Dimensions each: 27 x 45 3/8 x 28 3/8
- Model: Washer = WT5070CW / Dryer = DLEX5170W
Whirlpool White Electric Washer/Dryer Combo
Whirlpool has always come up with innovative yet amazing products with great many features. This washer dryer combo is another great quality product by Whirlpool. The product is easy to use and Compact with Adjustable Settings. Nowadays people prefer washer dryer combos rather than buying heavy and large machines.
Pros And Cons
- It features The Tumble Press Cycle which is responsible for removing wrinkles after the clothes become dry. After 10 minutes of tumbling at selected temperature and 5 minutes of tumbling at room temperature your clothes will be wrinkle-free and ready to wear with no or minimal ironing.
- Talking about the look of the machine, it has been fired at 1500 degrees Fahrenheit for a smooth finish that prevents it from scratches and rusts etc.
- With 8 automated cycles, 4 wash/rinse temperature combination and 3 temperature selections, the product performs well at the removal of strains.
- However, it makes some loud noise during processing.
- Model: WET3300XQ
- Weight: 310 pounds
- Dimensions: 32 x 27 x 71.6
- Capacity: 8.4 Cu. Ft.
LG Graphite WM8000HVA / DLEX8000V
LG WM8000HVA 5.1 Cu. Ft. Big Capacity Automatic Washer is also one of the best washers with amazing features. The product is available at Low Cost, provides high Output, features auto Operation option, easy to Operate and Durable in Use. It offers deeper cleaning of the clothes by eliminating dirt and wrinkles. The ratings of this product by LG are amazing too.
Pros And Cons
- The machine performs well and doesn’t make any noise.
- The dryer is also good enough. It spins the clothes very dry. Plus the dryer doesn’t take long time to dry the clothes.
- LG’s revolutionary TurboWash technology helps you to save 20 minutes on larger loads, with amazing cleaning performance and efficiency.
- The washer provides you with largest capacity.
- The Steam technology avoids fabrics to eliminate dirt, odors and wrinkles.
- The Steam cycle of this product is amazing as well. One doesn’t need to iron the clothes after spinning them.
- The machine is heavy.
- Model: Washer = WM8000HVA / Dryer = DLEX8000V
- Washing features of this product include TurboWash technology for faster loads ColdWash and Steam technology and feature – Six Motion technology.
- TrueSteam tech is included in the product which helps to makes real steam.
- Include 2 Pedestals Drawer.
- Weight: Washer = 233.7 lbs / Dryer = 158 lbs
- Dimensions each: 29 x 56 4/5 x 32 3/10
Washer Dryer Combos Buying Guide
Combo or Stackable or Laundry Center
A true washer and dryer combo is one machine with one door that both washes and dries the clothes. A stackable washer and dryer combo is made of two separate units that can be stacked on top of each other to save space. Clothes still need to be moved from the washer unit to the dryer unit. A laundry center is a unit manufactured as one solid piece but which is still comprised of a separate washer and a dryer. These require a lot of head room, as they can be up to 80 or more inches tall.
Limited Space Footprint
Washer and dryer sets or combos will have a smaller footprint than a traditional side-by-side washer and dryer set. However, a laundry center that stacks one on top of the other will need plenty of height clearance.
The capacity on washer dryer combos is sometimes smaller than it is when using separate units. There is still a good range of sizes to choose from. Some, like the LG washer dryer combo have as much as 2.3 cubic feet. Other models will be between 1 and 2.1 cubic feet. Consider what you really need based on the amount of clothes you wash per week. A single person can easily use a 1.5 cubic foot machine, but a large family will obviously need as much space as their budget and floor plan allow.
Agitator or Pulsator
The way the drum moves the clothes is important. An agitator is the post that sticks up in the middle of the washer. It rotates back and forth to agitate the clothes through the water. These models usually have reduced internal space and can be prone to load unevenly. Some consumers also believe the agitator can damage delicate clothes. Units with a pulsator use a large drum that pulses and rotates to clean the clothes. Models with a puslator drum allow you to take advantage of the full cubic space.
To make sure you have the proper electrical requirements, you’ll want to double check the voltage the unit uses. If you’re unsure if your outlet is up to code, consult an electrician. Typical voltages include 115, 220 or 240. Generally speaking, the more voltage the machine uses the more power it will have, and the better of a job it can do.
In general, the faster the unit can spin the more efficient and effective it will be. A higher RPM (rotations per minute) will clean clothes better and dry them faster. Typical RPM ratings are around 1000 RPM, but a better machine will be around 1200 RPM.
Some washer and dryer sets require a vent that pushes out hot air during the drying cycle. A ventless washer dryer combo uses a condensation-based system to dry the clothes. Hot air is pulled into the unit to help evaporate the moisture in the clothes. This moisture in the air is then condensed into the condenser tubes and emitted through the water hose. This process can take longer than a vented dryer cycle. (Check “Cycle Time” for more information.)
A dryer with a vent will work the same as normal dryers, using and expelling warm to hot air. These require vent housing in the ceiling that goes through to the roof of the building. In an apartment or condo, you might be able to vent outside the window, but it’s probably best to pick a ventless model.
Washing and Drying Cycles
Most units will have multiple options for both washing and drying. The washing cycles should include different speeds and temperature settings. These are sometimes labeled as “Delicate,” “Whitest Whites,” “Quick Wash,” “Heavy,” “Normal,” etc.
Typically, the more options you have, the better. However, sometimes these extra cycles increase the price of the machine without making much of a difference in the cleanliness of the clothes, so the number of cycles is not incredibly important if you’re on a strict budget.
These sensors will determine the moisture in the machine to prevent over-drying, which can damage clothes and waste energy. Some models include sensors that also read water and suds levels to prevent overflow. Other sensors will release the laundry detergent, fabric softener, and bleach at carefully timed intervals. This allows you to load up the machine ahead of time, especially if your model has a delayed start setting.
LCD Screens versus Analog Controls
Whether your washer and dryer combo has an LCD screen or not is mostly a matter of aesthetics. It will not affect the actual performance of the unit. However, it can sometimes make the unit more user-friendly with its clear display and buttons for options.
Portable washer dryer combo units included wheels to easily move the unit around. From the kitchen to the bathroom, as long as the unit has a water hook up (usually a simple sink faucet), it can be used anywhere. A portable washer and dryer unit is also great for RVs and campers. Not all washer and dryer combos can be used in this way. If this is an important feature to you, make sure the machine you choose is rated as “portable,” and make sure to purchase a faucet adaptor if one is not included.
In our washer dryer combo reviews, we found the typical drying time to be longer than a normal separate dryer. This was especially the case for any ventless washer dryer combo. However, they dried just as well if given enough time. Check to make sure the cycle time works for you and your schedule. Consider throwing in a load of laundry before you leave for work or go to bed. By the time you check on it, the load will be done.
This feature is great for planning around your schedule. If your clothes tend to sit in the dryer until they wrinkle, you might be looking for a delayed start option. You can load the clothes in the morning and have them just finishing by the time you get home from work. Some dryers will have an anti-wrinkle setting that will intermittently toss the clothes around to prevent wrinkles from setting.
Check for information in the user manual on how to install the unit. If you’re unsure, call the manufacturer and ask. Or you can search for the manual online. Most are fairly easy to hook up and only require you to plug them in and hook one hose to a hot water line and one to a cold water line. Again, some washer and dryer sets are specially designed to hook up to faucets in the kitchen or bathroom.
You’ll also want to know if you need to accommodate a venting system. It’s best to have the venting system through an existing duct or out of a window, so plan for a proper location during installation.
You might also need to find a way to secure the unit to the floor with straps or other restraints. This is especially true for stackable washer and dryer models that can sometimes end up top heavy. When in the rapid spin cycle, this might create a safety hazard if the unit is not secured properly. The instruction manual will give you a clear idea of how to do this for each individual model.
Finally, you’ll want to be informed of the warranty information for the washer and dryer combo you choose. Whether it’s classified as a portable washer dryer combo or a stackable washer and dryer set, the best appliances will come with at least a 6 month warranty. Some models even include a warranty that covers in-home service if you ever need it.
The Bottom Line
Finding cheap washer and dryer sets from reputable manufacturers is easy – simply click on any of the links provided. The first thing you’ll need to establish in looking for the best washer and dryer combo is the space you have to work with. Consider width, height and depth. Also consider how much cubic capacity you need to use your machine efficiently.
We chose the best washer and dryer sets based on real customer reviews, industry reports, warranties and of course – price. Finding a cheap washer and dryer set doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice quality. Great discounts can be found when you know what to look for and where to find the best deals. For more information check out any of the washer and dryer combo reviews, video demos or resource links on this site.