If you’re shopping for an outdoor mattress the use of your mattress will likely either be for camping only or for a variety of uses such as an extra guest bed and camping.
Adding an air mattress to your camping gear can certainly be a nice upgrade, but be cautious of the size, weight and features before you purchase. If your camping is going to involve hiking, you will want to be very careful to buy a lightweight air mattress. Additionally you will want an air mattress that comes with a battery powered pump. Finding an electrical outlet in the back country is more difficult than trying to start a fire in the rain!
Continue reading below to learn more about buying an outdoor air mattress!
Size is not just about twin or queen. Here are a few other questions to think through when choosing the best size:
- Will the bed only be used by one person?
- If you are camping, will the air mattress fit in your tent? There are plenty of twin size mattresses!
- How much does the air mattress weigh (important if you’re hiking)?
Every brand of air-mattress has their own ‘features,’ but overall you need to think about the following:
- How will you inflate your mattress (does it have a pump included)?
- Does the pump run on batteries (better for camping)?
- Is the lining of the air mattress thicker (less vulnerable to getting leaks)?
The quality of an air mattress can be judged in many ways, but it is generally based on comfort. An air mattress is sought to replace a real bed so the closer that it feels like a real bed, the better.
- How often do you plan on using it? Outdoor air mattresses can take a beating, so make sure to invest in a well constructed mattress if you plan on using it frequently.
- Use reviews to help you determine how satisfied customers have been using the mattress in various situations!